Monday, November 12, 2012

The Man - Ray Charles

Ray Robinson Charles remains one of the finest musicians that ever lived. Little wonder Billy Joel said, ''this may sound sacrilegious, but I think Ray Charles was more important than Elvis Presley''. Which Elvis Presley? Elvis the king Presley, yeah. Ray Charles - the fine, blind music artist from Florida, USA.

As I watched one of the greatest musicians of all time in a movie which chronicled his life, I couldn't help but marvel at what  bundle of talent Ray Charles was. He was 73 but then I figure he was too young to die. With his rich, sonorous, voice, he carried listeners to the heights of musical pleasure.

Success for Ray Charles came with all its peculiarities though. At some point, he had to cope with drug/substance abuse and also broke not a few hearts along the rungs of the ladder of success. Good thing was Ray Charles was able to retrace his steps and stay away from heroin for the rest of his life after he checked into rehab and saw his mother and dead brother in a dream reminding him of his promise not to let anything cripple him. Ray who was already feeling overwhelming guilt for the death of his brother in a bath-tub while they were young made a vow never to touch drugs anymore, a promise he stuck to until his death. His proudest moment came when the authorities of Georgia welcomed him back with an award after he had previously been banned from performing in the state of Georgia when he refused to perform before a segregated audience.


We all know music is dead. Music artists with heavenly voices have graced the face of the earth, sadly many of them have gone and taken their voices with them leaving us with crap musicians. Ray is certainly one of them. If only artists like Ray Charles lived forever. He's one man I'd have loved to hear sing to me but then that's a long-gone dream I have to cross off my list. My favorite songs of Ray include Georgia On My Mind, Hit the Road Jack and I Got a Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment